Sunday, August 22, 2010

If I live with my girlfriend and partially pay her mortgage with monthly ';rent';, do i get any ownership?

I am contemplating moving in with girlfriend who owns a nice home with a huge monthly mortgage payment that she can barely pay. She wants me to move in and help with it. I would like to live with her with marriage down the road. I have a great below market apartment that I would lose if I leave and move in with her. If I am paying rent to her but living with her do I get any ownership position? Is there a precendence for an agreement along these lines?If I live with my girlfriend and partially pay her mortgage with monthly ';rent';, do i get any ownership?
In Texas we have community property. The minute you get married you own half of each others stuff. Their are ways to keep some things separate but it is extremely complicated.





We also have common law marriage. There is no time involved. The minute you present yourselves as married then you are. I had a roommate in college that was about to get married when he found he needed a divorce from a previous ';girlfriend'; first. You could get some contract but a good lawyer would have to do it and it would be expensive and complicated and unromantic.





But if all you are is girlfriend/boyfriend then you own no part of this house- you are simply paying rent.If I live with my girlfriend and partially pay her mortgage with monthly ';rent';, do i get any ownership?
If you are not on the original contract then you have no legal rights to the property even if you are ';helping'; to pay for it. Some states have common law marraige laws that would change the terms ofownership if you have lived with each other for 10 years or more. Basically if you help pay now it is just a good faith gesture. If you are willing to help her pay then I would suggest you talk her into selling the house she is in and the two of you go jointly into a better house that you can afford. Not only will it be a better deal financialy but it will put the 2 of you on equal footing.
you need to have her quit claim deed you on to the property then you would have ownership. That would be the easiest way instead of refinancing with both of you on there and it will save you $$$ in closing costs
she would have to add your name to the deed and mortgage documents
No you don't. Personally I would stick with what you got:





http://www.dont-marry.com/





Regards...
If the mortgage has her name on it and not yours, it's ';her'; house. If you marry her, I think theres a way to put you on the mortgage.

No comments:

Post a Comment